Friday, May 22, 2009

Dinner with Katie and family...

Me and Katie

So I was invited to dinner to a family I had met through the group Korean Families for Adoption here in Madison. Katie is only 9 years old but is the smartest and brightest 9 year old I have ever met. She was adopted when she was a baby, but we found out that her parents used the same agency as mine, as they lived in Illinois at the time, same as my parents. Katie was also born in the same province as me in Seoul, and came through the same adoption agency as me, which was Eastern Social Welfare. It was so eerie that we were from the same area, same agency, both in Korea and the states. At the same time, it felt comforting that like me, she went through the same process, probably met the same people, and saw the exact same things as I did when I was in Korea and waiting for adoption.

I met her family who were so amazing. They are so supportive of Katie and want and help her so much. We had dinner and I talked to her about my trip to Korea and showed her pictures from my trip. I really felt like doing something like this my calling, helping other adoptees find themselves....But first, I have to do that for myself I suppose....

Even though Katie is so young, she wants to know why? She has questions about Korea, her biological family, her mother, and so many more questions....and I wish I had the answers to all of them. How do you tell a child that their biological mother gave them up and that there is a possiblity that she may not want to see her. After all, that is the reality of Korean biological mothers. It's so heart breaking for me, I can't imagine feeling that way again at that young age....

The thing is, I have the same questions she does. Its amazing how a child can ask questions that most of us adults would never think of asking or think of. Children think so simply and without any filter. And when given an answer they ask, Why? repeatedly.....

After spending time with Katie and her family, I kind of wished I would have had someone when I was a kid that was an Korean adoptee like me that I could relate to and talk to and ask questions to. But I didn't and if I had, maybe things would have been a little easier. But I hope I can be that person for Katie or any other Korean adoptee that I can be a support person for. After all, the best people that can relate, are the people that have been through it.

So, Katie's dad wanted to do a special project in Korea through the orphanage that both me and Katie were from, Eastern. He asked me if I would be willing to ask and be the contact person for his organization to do any project that the orphanage needed for the kids. His rotary club, based in Chicago, would be willing to donate a lot of money to make any project the orphanage needed. So of course I was more than happy to help out and be the one making sure the money was being used for any specific project that was needed for the kids. I am really excited to help out in any way I can, and I have been in contact with the orphanage, and of course I told them and they are very excited...And I also told them, I am coming to Korea soon and have some babies ready for me to hold and feed! :)

1 comment:

emily said...

i love this photo, of you and katie. i hope to meet her and her family someday soon.