Friday, May 29, 2009

My last days at MPD...

The allied night fighters

So I started to think about my final days at MPD today....I guess maybe because so many people have started to ask me if I was leaving for sure, and I decided that instead of just saying nothing, I would just tell people that I am leaving...But I have to say, the reasons I didn't want anyone to know, was because I didn't want everyone to make me leaving a big deal...I am certainly not one that likes too much attention....

I realized that I only have 1 month left until my last days here, and I guess I am sad that I am leaving. Not necessarily the job, but the people that I have had the pleasure of getting to know, the many friendships that I have gained. I think that work would be so unbearable if it wasn't for the amazing people I work with, and I realize now, that I will miss all of them very much.

Its so weird, how when you know you are leaving, or something is coming to an end, you start to appreciate what you had, and you wonder if you appreciated it enough to really deserve it in the first place.

I heard a soldier once say that "even though we say we fight and go to war for freedom, and for our country, we all know that we go for the guy to the right of us, for the guy to the left of us, because we are all family." That stayed with me, and I can definitely say that after being a police officer for the last 5 years, going to work has been more to me than the phrase "to protect and serve" but has always been about going in everyday for the guy and gal to my right and to my left. For my partner that might someday need me, and for the day that I might need them.

God forbid, someone actually appreciates what we do, but you know, at the end of the day, we all know that we all appreciate each other, we have each other's backs. There's something so powerful about that, and I will truly miss that.

2 comments:

emily said...

oh, boy. mistake number one: reading this at 3:25am while awake with a sick, sad little baby boy who has been up for the past three hours. i'm overtired and emotional and this pushed me over the edge. now rubin and i are BOTH in tears.

you'll be missed, bielski. your words are dead on. our job really sucks. but the people are truly amazing. YOU are, too.

Lindsey said...

With each day that passes it becomes more real that you are actually leaving...I am going to miss you!