Sunday, July 19, 2009

Back at the beginning...

I finally arrived at my final destination, after a long 14 hour plane ride and no sleep....I've landed in the the place I once called home so many years ago. I was feeling pretty good and not really that nervous or scared, until I was about 2 miles from O'Hare...when it finally hit me...I am really leaving...

I started to feel the anxiety and panic I would feel when I didn't want something to happen, and started to wonder "what if I just back peddaled a little and thought this over a little while longer?" For a split second that came into my mind, and then...I realized I have given up way too much, planned and thought this through over and over for almost a year, and knew that there was no turning back now and that I was just nervous because of...well, because its a HUGE deal!

When I stepped off the plane and took a look around me, I felt a sense of relief, but I knew that I was going to experience so much, the good and the bad.My friends Nicole and Lars met me at the airport, and then took me to where I would be staying for the next 3 months. Its called a Woorijip, and I was not expecting the living conditions....by that I mean, so many people living here.

I can't believe that after I started a life in Madison, graduated, got a job, and pretty much had everything I needed, I have given that all up, to live in an apartment with 10 other Korean guys, crowded and cramped and no privacy whatsoever. 

But after the shock and surprise, I was too tired to really care, slept for another 12 hours or so....and now, I am totally ok with the way things are going to be. After all, I don't have much of a choice, but I am ok with that. My roommate is from Germany, pretty cool guy, but met him at 5:30 am, after he was out all night, then stayed up for another couple hours just chatting, and him telling me about his girl problems after he has only been here for only 2 months...kinda crazy.

The guys I am staying with are from all over Europe and the states. Being the new guy is kinda weird, but I realize that is to be expected.  The turnover seems to be in high in the summer and I am sure more and more new people will be coming and going.

I haven't really figured out what I am going to do for the next 10 weeks until school starts....maybe sight see or catch up with old friends....but I realize that will only take a little of my time, and I will have to figure out a way to keep my time occupied. So, I am forcing myself to go out of the apartment, try to at least be out in public, and maybe some beautiful girl will just come up and talk to me.....haha...although I am very doubtful of that happening....

I am so close to the place I stayed last summer, near Ewha Women's University. So I am pretty familiar with the area, but I got lost last night, so I am not that confident. :) I'm starting to think that maybe I should have taken summer classes or something, learn as much Korean as I can...oh well.

It's weird that I feel that the only place I feel like I have privacy is in a very public place. Nothing seems to work in the apartment, no internet most of the time, so the dunkin donuts is the place I think I will do most of my blogging/writing/studying....weird since this the place I studied last year. Its like I never really left, the same people work here that I saw last year....so it all seems like I was here like yesterday...

So as Miya told me before I left, I am starting a new chapter of my life, at age 28....or in Korean age, 29...I am very hopeful for my future here, pray for the best and happy to be given the opportunity to begin a new...and start....back at the beginning.

2 comments:

emily said...

loved checking my sitemeter today and seeing that i had a visitor from korea.

constantly thinking of you. enjoy every minute of this new chapter, my friend.

xoxo

Elizabeth Frick said...

Hi David. Emily shared your blog address and I'm so intrigued to keep up with your posts! We adopted our daughter, Olive, from South Korea one year ago, on July 18th. Though our time there was short, we adored Seoul and hope to return with our little girl very soon. I hope you don't mind me following your journey, as I try to soak up as much of Korea as I possibly can, from the other side of the world. May you find all you are seeking!