Thursday, August 7, 2008

Visiting Eastern orphanage...

Today after class, I went to Eastern baby orphanage to meet with my social worker and give the items to the babies. I had a whole suitcase full and it was pretty hard finding a taxi to take me there, seeing how my Korean is horrible, but I managed to get there eventually.

There were so many babies there. I think there are about 40 babies here and then there are more at foster homes. The babies that are here are so young and they have no foster homes to go to so they have to stay in  this orphanage till a foster home can be found and then eventually get adopted. I guess there is a big shortage of foster families to take the babies before they get adopted. Being here makes me so sad. I can't believe anyone can give these babies up, they are all so cute.

I was told that the Korean government wants to really promote domestic adoption so it is very easy to adopt a child if you live in Korea. It doesn't matter how old you are or if you are single, you can adopt. If they are not adopted within 5 months from being born, they are then available for international adoption. 

I spent a lot of time here today. I kind of had a rough day but it was so amazing being with the babies and holding them. While I was there, a Korean couple came to pick up their baby today and it was such a moving experience. The mother was so happy and crying and had a hard time holding the baby when her baby was handed to her. Everyone was crying....it was one of the most emotional times I have ever been around. I had to give blood because I will be volunteering for the babies after class on wednesdays. I am really looking forward to going there every week.

I met up with some of my friends Mayu and Hae In and we went to eat and got some ice cream afterwards. I am taking pictures of everything I eat here. Although, I can't think of what this dish is called. We went to Cold Stone which is right next to campus. Amazingly, it tasted just as same as the one in the states! haha


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great updates David! Btw, that Coldstone you went to near Ewha was the same one Simon, another friend of ours, and I went to last year in that hot muggy weather lol

Anonymous said...

oh, these babies!!! bring me one. or two. please! emily